Tyson-Schoener Elementary School was built in 1928 and was named for Benjamin Tyson and Adam Schoener, local legislators who supported the establishment of free public schools in 1834. This Art Deco building features a series of terra-cotta panels depicting nursery rhymes and other scenes. These panels are distinguished for their thematic variety and subtle coloration. They also represent a generous expenditure for public art and a conception of beauty as important to education - progressive notions for the era in which the school was built. While not so dramatically modem as some Art Deco movie palaces or skyscrapers of the 1920s, this attractive school's Art Deco style characteristics include vertical ribs, exposed metal surfaces, use of terra-cotta, and zigzag and geometric ornament.
Charles H. Muhlenberg V designed the building. His sister, Virginia Muhlenberg Steininger, created the decorative tiles. There are 21 tiles in all, each about 12” x 12”, in a band below the first floor windows on the school facade. Facing the front of the building, the tiles from left to right are:
Jack Be Nimble
The Fox and The Grapes
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
The Witch's House: Hansel and Gretel
Columbus' Three Ships
Lindbergh: The Spirit of St. Louis
Jack and the Beanstalk
The Three Bears
Little Red Riding Hood
Babes in the Woods
Wynken, Blynken and Nod
William Tell's Son
There are several more tiles by an unknown artist mounted into the lintels of the main entrance ways.