Ferdinand Winter, who for many years was a well-known business man of Reading, and a member of the leather manufacturing firm of Winter & Getz, retired to his home No. 900 Centre Avenue. Mr. Winter's birth occurred in 1838, in Austria, son of Anton and Marie (Ansorge) Winter.
After receiving a good education in the schools of his native country, Mr. Winter learned the process of tanning chamois and other fine hides for glove and shoe purposes, and followed this occupation as a journeyman for eleven years in Bavaria. On Aug. 28, 1867, he emigrated to America, landing at Castle Garden, on the steamship "Northern Light," and settled in Philadelphia for two and one-half years, after which he came to Reading and entered into a partnership with Anton Blatz, who had established, a short time previously, a small tannery. This partnership existed under the name of Blatz & Winter from 1869 to 1875, when Mr. Winter purchased the business, and admitted as a partner Ferdinand Getz. They carried on the business on the Canal street site of the Pennsylvania railroad. In 1904, Mr. Getz died and Mr. Winter retired from the business. The reputation that Mr. Winter made for his goods was far reaching and much of the leather passed inspection and sold in Philadelphia, New York and other large cities as imported leather, and was in many instances superior to imported goods. He also exported to foreign countries, including Germany, France and England.
The Ferdinand Residence still stands at 900 Centre Ave. but is obscured by many trees.