Volunteer Firemen's Monument, City Park, Reading, PA
The Volunteer Firemen's Monument at the head of Penn Street in City Park was erected by P. P. Eisenbrown, Sons & Co. Dedication of the monument took place on Labor Day, September, 2, 1901.
Volunteer Firemen's Monument, 1916
The monument is 24 feet tall. Inscriptions on the tablets at the base of the monument are:
North side: In recognition of more than 100 years of faithful, unselfish and often heroic service rendered by the volunteer firemen of the city of Reading, Pa. "Greater love has no man than this - that a man lay down his life for his fellow-man." Erected Sept 2, 1901.
South side: Firemen's Union, organized 1861; incorporated March 15, 1865. Firemen's Relief Association, incorporated Feb. 24, 1896. Chief Engineer, George W. Miller; assistants; James B. Gabriel and Henry Redtz.
On the second base, in raised letters appear the names of the companies, the dates of institution and the presidents when appointed on the committee.
The monument also contains the names of the Presidents of local companies at the time of its erection. The data, with the exception of the dates, follow:
Rainbow, Andrew F. Baer; Junior, John H. Ruth; Friendship, John Phillippi; Liberty, Charles Butler; Neversink, Harry Obold; Keystone, Edward Yeager; Washington, Abraham Bowman; Hampden, S. E. Ancona; Marion, George J. Trievel; Riverside, Charles H. Kiesling; Schuylkill, Sherman Hoverter.