Douglas and Weiser Junior High School
Hardly anyone will remember the building at Douglas and Weiser Streets as the former Douglas and Weiser Junior High School. The original school building was built in 1903. By 1912 it was enlarged twice to include two additional wings. A small addition was built in 1921. It was originally in the Romanesque Revival style, but transformed to the Classical Revival style with the renovations. The "C" - shaped brick building contained 21 classrooms and an auditorium. By the time Northwest Junior High School was built to relieve overcrowding the Douglas and Weiser Junior High School housed 1,022 students.
Douglas and Weiser Junior High School, Douglas and Weiser Streets, Reading, PA
~Click Image to Enlarge~
The school was converted to an elementary school after the construction of Northwest Junior High School. The school was renamed Charles Foos Elementary School in honor of Charles S. Foos who was a Reading School District superintendent. Charles Foos was closed in 1979. It was converted to an apartment building around 1982.