The former South of Penn pool, at Seventh and Laurel Streets, site of an old school building, was built in 1930 by voluntary subscriptions of money, materials and service through a subscription drive by the Reading Times Newspaper.
The pool was 60 by 90 feet long and was shallow at one end with an island and fountains for smaller children.
The pool was designed by Richard Kline, in the office of Alexander F. Smith, architect and by Nuebling and Mast, civil engineers. It was built under the personal supervision of Andrew J. Fink, school director, who gave many months of his time to the task.
For decades, it provided relief from the summer heat for thousands of Reading residents. In 1939 the pool was used by 48,015 children and adults from June 26 to September 2. The average daily attendance was 813.
Old age and the high cost of repairs finally caught up with the South of Penn Pool. In 1976 the city closed the pool. The cost to repair the pool exceeded $120,000. The pool was razed in 1984 and the lot sold. The lot is now used as a parking lot.
South of Penn Pool